Monday, June 10, 2013

Best Time to Plant Hydrangeas




Hydrangeas purchased from a garden center have been growing outdoors in a pot. They can be planted at any time of the year. However, to get good results, keep these considerations in mind:


  • Although it is not always possible, purchase a hydrangea while it is in bloom. This allows one to see how the plant will bloom. Hydrangeas are often mislabeled, and even good nurseries have difficulties keeping varieties separated when they are not in bloom. Twice I have planted mop heads when I thought I had lace caps. Additionally, 'Annabelle' doesn't always bloom properly. You may get stuck with a plant that is labeled "Annabelle" but the blooms turn out to be small and fuzzy.  Annabelle, by the way, is one of my favorite varieties.


  • Whenever possible, plant in early summer or fall. Don't plant in early spring when frosts are still possible. I've lost two leafed-out plants that were killed when a late frost hit them.


  • Don't plant a hydrangea during the hottest part of the summer unless it can't be helped.


  • After planting a hydrangea, DO NOT LEAVE IT ALONE. Too often we rush to get our shrubs planted before we leave on vacation. Be on hand to give it some TLC and to watch it and make sure it gets all the attention it needs.  
Here is a list of my favorite varieties:

Annabelle
Endless Summer
Pee Gee
Oak leaf Hydrangea
Bombshell
Tardiva






1 comment:

  1. Chris, I have a question I hope you can help with. 2 years ago I cut some flowers from my hydra and somehow they dried in color and kept their shape. My husband was ill at the time (and passed away then) so I really don't remember how this happened. I have since tried to dry some more using various ways but they only shrivel up or lose their color. Any ideas? I have tried cutting them and hanging them upside down to dry - shrivels. Hopefully letting them just run out of water - but within the week they shrivel.

    ReplyDelete