Monday, December 20, 2010

Are Poinsettias Poisonous?

I feel sorry for the Poinsettia. It has gotten such a bad rap for the past several years. So many people believe that the leaves of the beautiful holiday plant are poisonous. It all started back in the early part of the 20th Century when the young child of a U.S. Army Officer was alleged to have died from consuming a poinsettia leaf. The story was later retracted. But, as these things have a habit of doing, the toxic potential of this plant took a life of its own. The truth really is that other than occasional cases of vomiting, ingestion of the poinsettia plant has been found to produce no ill effect. The American Medical Association agrees with this fact. So, no worries about your children or your pets. Just enjoy this wonderful plant that has come to represent the Holiday Season!!!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Forcing Paper White Bulbs is so Easy!!

If you want beautiful paper whites blooming for the holidays then you better get going! Here is a great idea for you! All you have to do is go to your local garden center and buy some fresh bulbs and plant on a gravel base in a bowl of water. The bulbs should just be sitting on the gravel and only the bottom of the bulb should be touching the water. I like to plant my bulbs in potting soil mixed with a heavy dose of sand. Then cover the soil with green sheet moss. Place in a sunny and warm area indoors and in just a few weeks you will have beautiful flowers! It is almost too late for the Christmas Holidays, so if you don't have the time then you can usually find them already growing at your local florist!