Monday, December 20, 2010
Are Poinsettias Poisonous?
I feel sorry for the Poinsettia. It has gotten such a bad rap for the past several years. So many people believe that the leaves of the beautiful holiday plant are poisonous. It all started back in the early part of the 20th Century when the young child of a U.S. Army Officer was alleged to have died from consuming a poinsettia leaf. The story was later retracted. But, as these things have a habit of doing, the toxic potential of this plant took a life of its own. The truth really is that other than occasional cases of vomiting, ingestion of the poinsettia plant has been found to produce no ill effect. The American Medical Association agrees with this fact. So, no worries about your children or your pets. Just enjoy this wonderful plant that has come to represent the Holiday Season!!!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment